Re: unable to produce sequential writes to redo log

From: Paul M. Aoki <aoki_at_faerie.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 6 Oct 1999 04:20:43 GMT

a little more fiddling reveals (no, this is not the final answer):

putting the log on a raw device eliminates the read traffic (resulting in nice multiblock writes and much lower utilization numbers from iostat).

so my *guess* is that some interaction between oracle and ufs is causing ufs to perform read-ahead. i can't imagine what that would be, since oracle has no reason to do any reads on the redo log and writes should not trigger read-ahead.

how incredibly annoying...

--

  Paul M. Aoki         | Computer Science Division, EECS #1776
  aoki_at_CS.Berkeley.EDU | University of California