Re: shutdown -- big transaction

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:55:44 GMT

A "shutdown abort" does not flush the db buffer and redo log caches. It does not update file headers. It does not synchronize control files and db files. It's not a good way to bring down the database. While most times you can get away with doing an abort, you are taking a big risk with your data. An operating system and application software can always be re-installed and re-configured. But how are you going to re-create your data? (Hope you have backups.) There is a difference between normal shutdowns and aborts. That's why you should startup and bring down right after an abort. If you are impatient, try "shutdown immediate".

HTH,
Brian