Re: Fast Backup?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:19:26 +0100

There is an incremental export feature which exports only those tables that have not changed. However, and all the big tables of Applications will be touched with extreme regularity so this won't save you much.

BTW - all the data files in an Oracle database will be touched every time the system does a checkpoint, and I would expect all the files of an Oracle database system to stay the same size almost all the time if it were being properly managed.

The only option to avoid unnecessary volume of backup is RMAN which is Oracle's own product which examines the SCN on each block in the database to determine if the block has been changed since the last backup.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk