Re: Creating a backup database

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_at_sprint.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:00:20 -0300

Hi,
The best solution for backup would be STANDBY database. But, IMHO you have to had O7.3.4 both for this, because stand by mode needs homogeneous environment.
Also, you can't use standby database as report machine.

So. You need Replication. You can use Replication Option, if you need support of distribued transactions. If no - use simple customized replication
on snapshots with snapshot logs.

Simple example:

MasterDB:

create snapshot log on TableA;

ReportDB:

create snapshot TableA
refresh fast next sysdate+1
as select * from TableA_at_MasterDB;

This should work more smooth and faster.

For users, roles, procedures replication use full export/import without table data ROWS=N.

Also you can try to write data into regular files and then to load this via direct path.

Mark Malakanov
DBA
Sapience, Toronto