Creating a backup database

From: Richard Platt <rick.platt_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 12:33:22 +0100

Hi

I have 2 databases on seperate machines. A live one, and a backup one. They are both running 7.3 (one is 7.3.2 and the other 7.3.4). How can I ensure that the backup database is an exact backup of the live one.

I wrote some scripts which dropped all the users (except) sys in the backup database, then loaded a full export from the live machine. The major problem is the time taken. The import takes a good 14 hours at the moment, never mind the export as well 2-3hrs.

The backup machine is used for reporting, and hence I need to complete the job of an evening. I also want it to be self maintaining, i.e users created on the live machine are duplicated, as are roles.

I had thought of snapshots but there are load of users and tables, as well as server side code.

Any thoughts ?

--
Regards Richard Platt
rick.platt_at_btinternet.com Received on Sun Oct 03 1999 - 06:33:22 CDT