I need to test whether I am getting a result back from a query is it possible?

From: tony <ramdan_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: 30 Sep 1999 10:22:03 -0500

I need to determine if I get a value back from a query, it there is a value I use it, otherwise I want to put a string value. I tried

decode(A.SUPPLIER, NULL, 'NFP', A.SUPPLIER)

and

nvl(A.SUPPLIER, 'NFP')

but I get no results back.

is that because when there is no data I don't really get a null? what can I look for to do this Received on Thu Sep 30 1999 - 10:22:03 CDT