Re: Is this safe???

From: Chris Forlano <cforlano_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:26:14 +0100

Fellas,

Sequences look like the modern, more efficient way to do it. Thanks for the article Jonathan.

However, I do have one problem regarding thier use. How can I utilize a sequence within a trigger or function? Whenever I try to do this, I get the message:

PLS-00357: Table,View Or Sequence reference 'TEST_SEQ.NEXTVAL' not allowed.

I'm trying automatically create a new sequence whenever a new row is created where
a specific column is empty.

Specifically,

   :new.id := CONCAT( prefix, LPAD( TO_CHAR( test_seq.nextval), 9, '0' ) )

What can I do?

Thanks,

Chris

--