Re: DBA role missing and 8.0 to 8i upgrade problems

From: Brent Tucker <btucker_at_servman.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:37:48 -0600

Toomas,

All of your problems stem from the fact that you have an older version of the data dictionary and a newer version of the binaries. Your programs are looking for views or fields that don't exist.

You should have a script in \oracle\rdbms\admin called u0800030.sql. This is the dictionary upgrade script for 8.0.3 to 8.1.5 (at least for NT). It calls several other scripts to perform the upgrade.

Before you start the upgrade, BACKUP YOUR DATABASE! Shut the oracle instance down and take copies of all data files, control files, redo logs, and archive logs used by Oracle. The file headers should be stamped with 8.1.5 by now, but if you have problems with the upgrade you may be able to back out with Oracle corp's help.

After the backup, start the database, connect internal through server manager, and run u0800030.sql. This will update your data dictionary. When finished, it is not a bad idea to take another cold backup, but that is your choice.

If you run into problems, let me know.

Brent Tucker
www.servman.com