DBA role missing and 8.0 to 8i upgrade problems

From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas_at_mail.ee>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:54:26 +0300

Hello!

I am a NetWare administrator with practically no experience on managing Oracle server. However, I succeeded in getting Oracle 8.0.3 installed on NetWare 5 ca 6 months ago and it has run with no visible problems since then.

Now I want to upgrade the server to Oracle8i (8.1.5) and have some problems & questions (after much RTFMing), if you don't mind.

First:
I noticed that in Security Manager I no longer see the 'DBA' role. I am quite sure that it was there after installing the server (I installed the server with default database). God knows what has happened to it. Maybe this is the root of all my other problems. Is there a way to re-create the DBA role? Can you give me (or point me to) the guidelines for doing so?

Second:
The 8.1.5 installation process prompts for the oracle home directory on server, defaulting to \ORANW815. I had 8.0.3 installed in \ORACLE, so I specified \ORACLE as home for 8.1.5. Is this allowed or should I have installed 8.1.5 to new home instead?

Third:
After the software is upgraded, several operations result in following error messages:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

One example of when such error occurs is when I try to delete user in Security Manager. In this particular case there is also the message "VBO-5530: user cannot be dropped". But the ORA-00942 message seems to be the root of the evil here. I was connected as INTERNAL when I tried to do this and it has been tried with various user IDs (which worked before the upgrade).

I upgraded only the software and left the original 8.0 database intact.

Fourth:
The Oracle8i 'Getting Started for NetWare' guide says that to upgrade the database to new 8i format I need to run the script RDBMS\ADMIN\CAT8004.SQL. I cannot find this script anywhere on my server.

Thank you for reading this long message and I appreciate the feedback (if any). Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 05:54:26 CDT