Display special characters and accents correctly

From: F.Th.G. Heijmans <no_F.Th.G.Heijmans_at_inter.nl.net_spam>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:24:46 GMT

Hi,

I think that I am really loosing it now. I am trying to spool special characters. And I have to say that I really don't understand the settings anymore. First of all we are running under windows95.

Let me explain the situation. When I start sqlplus80 and select the name of mister Schröder (o" if you have the same problem in this screen) it displays with a black cube where the ö should be. When I do the same thing in sqlplus (character-based) I get the correct display. Spooling gives the same result in both Sql's namely the wrong one. The ö gets replaced by ascii character 126.

Mr Schr~der strongly objects to the misuse of his name. Besides, the ö is ascii character 148. Which is the character stored in the database. Or, that is what ascii() tells me. Since Ascii-char 148 is the correct one, I am wondering why it doesn't get displayed and spooled correctly in SqlPlus80.

Is there anyone who can explain to me what is happening?

Regards,

Frank Heijmans Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 11:24:46 CDT