Re: Rollback Segment usage and INSERTs?

From: Brent Tucker <btucker_at_servman.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:17:41 -0600

Simon,

The way to think of this is that rollback segments grow with a 'before' image of data. If you commit, that data is permanately stored. If you roll back, the 'before' image is read from the rollbck segment and reapplied to memory.

So, when you insert, there is no 'before' image to save, because if you roll back the data is just flushed from memory. With an update or delete, however, rollback grows so that the database has an idea of what the data looked like before modification.

Hope this helps,

Brent Tucker
www.servman.com