Re: Tuning recommendations

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:58:41 +0100

In2Home User wrote:

> I realize that the tuning of and Oracle system takes months to perfect, but
> I'm just looking for some initial recommendations to get me started. I've
> specified the details of my system below.
>
> transactions = lots of reads and writes (OLTP)
> database size = ~1GB
> number of concurrent users = 30
> oracle version = 8.0.5
> server = UltraSparcI-333MHz
> os = Solaris 2.5
> RAM = 1GB
>
> Any suggestions are most welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Chris
use the 'large' settings in the init.ora, read the Oracle manual on tuning and the excellent O'Rielly book on the subsject. Also the disk setup could well be critical in this setting depending on how many read/writes and indexes you have.

I'd also recommend upgrading Solaris to at least 2.6 if not 7.

Anyway if you want pointers etc please email me direct...

Martin
Oracle DBA, Unix sysadmin, coffee drinker at home Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 03:58:41 CDT