Re: Data Warehouse Backups

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:08:29 GMT

In article <7sbqaj$2p1_at_dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>,   "Mike Vergara" <mvergara_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Hey DBAs:
>
> We're working on our first data warehouse project. The software
> vendor is MicroStrategy. They're telling us that our data warehouse
> (mainly retail shopping data) will grow to about 700MB in the next
> year.
>
> My question to any other data warehouse DBAs is "How do you
> back up that much stuff?" We're using Legato Networker as our
> recording system, but what do YOU do? What are your experiences?
>
> Respond to the group or to my e-mail and I will summarize back to
> the list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Do you mean 700GB instead of the 700MB you listed? 700MB is nothing to worry about. Backups performance is a function of the resources available to use to perform the backup. I know a shop that says they can back up 2.4 terabytes in 6 hours to tape. It takes us 6 hours to backup 140GB to disk. We run four jobs at one time; I know that the other group uses at least 12 tape drives at one time, and since they are OPS they could be using 12 drives per box or 24 total. Your backup performance is going to depend on available resources. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 08:08:29 CDT