Re: Duplicating server

From: Graham C Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:09:07 -0500

Tan Keok San wrote in message <7scae8$5sj$1_at_nuscc.nus.edu.sg>...
>Am running Oracle on NT. Would like to duplicate whole environment onto
>another server. Wondering if the following would do:
>
>1. Set up NT on the new server
>2. Copy all files like /orant, etc. across to the new server
>
>Or, are there any alternatives than to set up Oracle and export all data?
>
>Help appreciated! Thanks!

Rather than using the awkward export/import method, provided you are using the same operating system and version of the RDBMS, you can do a straight binary copy of the database files to the new server.

Put the databaser in restricted mode and get all of the users off. Force a checkpoint to sync the files and then backup the control file to ASCII. Now shutdown the database and copy the database files, including the redo log files to the new server.

Once in place, you can simply execute the backed up control file from the SVRMGR prompt. You may need to hack the file to accomodate a different directory structure and I usually take the database out of archivelog mode until I have finished the migration.

I have used this method successfully on VMS and UNIX. Never tried it on NT though so if you use it, let me know if it works.

Thanks

Graham

--
Empowerment - delegating the responsibility but not the authority.

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Abbott Laboratories. Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 08:09:07 CDT