Re: Concerns with Foreign Key Integrity Constraints?

From: <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:38:54 GMT

In article <37ee233f.12134178_at_netnews.worldnet.att.net>,   jonathan_at_gennick.com wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:18:28 -0400, Andy Philpotts
> <AndyPhi_at_reciprocal.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there any reason why we should not do
> >this? Performance is one issue that springs to mind...
>
> Performance is the biggest issue, but if you can afford the
> hit, then I'd do it.
>
> One other issue to watch out for though, is that your apps
> might briefly allow integrity to be violated. For example,
> you might have an application that inserts the order-detail
> records before it inserts the parent order record. That's a
> simplistic example, but you get the idea. If you define
> foreign key constraints, your app could suddenly fail
> because it isn't doing things in the correct order. You'll
> have to test on a test system before change things on the
> live system.
>
> There may be other issues but those are the two that I've
> had experience with.
>
> Jonathan

> jonathan_at_gennick.com
> http://gennick.com
> Brighten the Corner Where You Are

jonathan, what is the performance difference between client enforced ri vs client enforced ri from your experience(bench mark).

thanks in advance
tedchyn(tedchyn_at_yahoo.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 22 1999 - 08:38:54 CDT