Re: Oracle 8i: Is it stable?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:09:37 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:00:45 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been running 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.7 (development/prototype machine
>only) for about 6 months.
>
>The server seems fairly robust, only problems were some internal (600?)
>errors involving user defined types. The server never actually crashed.
>
>Tools like SQL*Plus and Pro*C are a bit rough. I had to install the
>8.0.5 client and development stuff in a separate ORACLE_HOME.
>
>8.1.5 SQL*Plus somtimes core dumps on describing tables.

Just FYI:

if your linesize is set >132 it'll do this. set linesize 130 or less and it'll be ok.

>8.1.5 Pro*C sometimes cores of gives no clues about problems in programs
>under development. You can develop and debug under 8.0.5, and then it
>will build OK in 8.1.5.

bug 864184. Its a missing message file. Call support and they'll get you the file right away and it'll work without issue after that.

>Under Linux, the 8.1.5 install is a horror show, and there seem to be
>additional Pro*C problems.
>
>Peter
>
>milagre_at_softdes.com.br wrote:
>>
>> Friends,
>>
>> I was exploring and testing Oracle 8i. Ok, It's sounds good. But, I
>> would like to know:
>>
>> Who are using Oracle 8i?
>> What features?
>> In what platform?
>> Is it stable?
>>
>> Thank's
>>
>> --
>> Geraldo Milagre
>> Oracle DBA and Instructor
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 12:09:37 CDT