Re: Oracle 8i: Is it stable?

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:00:45 -0400

I've been running 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.7 (development/prototype machine only) for about 6 months.

The server seems fairly robust, only problems were some internal (600?) errors involving user defined types. The server never actually crashed.

Tools like SQL*Plus and Pro*C are a bit rough. I had to install the 8.0.5 client and development stuff in a separate ORACLE_HOME.

8.1.5 SQL*Plus somtimes core dumps on describing tables.

8.1.5 Pro*C sometimes cores of gives no clues about problems in programs under development. You can develop and debug under 8.0.5, and then it will build OK in 8.1.5.

Under Linux, the 8.1.5 install is a horror show, and there seem to be additional Pro*C problems.

Peter