Re: Enterprise Manager

From: Marty Grinstead <MGrinstead_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:33:30 -0400

In a nutshell, what is really happening when you submit a job:

The agent (on the node where the job will be run) stores the information until it is time to run the job. You will notice the *.q files in the agent directory. When the agent starts the job, he has to log into NT (or whatever os you are using) for some of the functions he may have to perform. Since there is not really anybody sitting there, the agent creates a batch job to run (that's why the user created has to have 'log on as a batch job').

The preferred credentials you set in OEM tell the agent how to log into the os (or database). The preferred credentials should be set for the node where the work has to be done. The user names can be different for each node, just use the preferred credentials to identify each username/password for each node.

The thing that causes the most problem is creating the user at the local level instead of the domain level. Make sure when you are in User Manager, your machine name is showing up in the title bar, and not the domain.

As far as the sql*net connection, once the job has been submitted, the sql*net connection can be broken between the OEM console and the server, and the jobs will still run.

Hope this didn't confuse things even more!!!!!!!

Marty