Re: Creating new instance

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:53:59 -0400

fabriceh wrote:

> I use Oracle 7 on SCO Unix.
> I still have 2 instance running.
> I want to create a third.
> But when the two first are started, and I try to create another one I get :
> ORA-7279: spcre: smget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> AT&T System V/386 Error: 28: No space left on device
>
> When I have one Instance down, I can create another one.
> But after I can run only 2 together.
> When I start the third I get :
> ORA-7252: spcre: smget error, could not allocate semaphores.
> AT&T System V/386 Error: 28: No space left on device
>
> I have enough RAM memory (96 Mo), and enough disk space.
> I tune the shared_pool_size, but even with very small set it doesn't work.
>
> I certainly have to tune Unix parameters to get more semaphores, but which
> one ? I'm not expert in unix administration.
>
> Any advices ?
> Thanks
> Fabrice.

When UNIX is installed it sets a certain number of semaphores by default. In most cases this number is way to low to be useful in the real world. I suppose you should go by the recommendations of the OS distributor, but the number of IPC objects should be high enough that you will never run into this limitation. Take a look in /etc/cf.d/mtune and look for parameters starting with SEM.... While you are there you might also want to increase the settings for shared memory segments and message queues as they are also generally two low to be useful in the real world if not changed from the out-of-the-box defaults. Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 06:53:59 CDT