adjusting db for more users

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 01:00:03 +0100

Hi all,
When sizing a system for a number of users, I'm trying to predict the ram requirements.
Working on nominal transactions, (like none), all the work is queries, so increase temp - estimate!? yuk. guess. All the connections are via remote sqlplus. So you need at least sort_area_size+unknown overhead. The PGA is OS specific in size and is outside SGA, the UGA is also outside the SGA - except shared UGA stuff is in the SGA I believe. I got a bit bogged down in the self-contradicting documentation. Basically MTS is a must with a lot of users, but predicting a number of users where you might start to hit issues is difficult. From the MAX PGA and UGA values I found in the V$ tables, I arrived at a guess of 2Mb per user, but its not very scientific. Anyone got any better suggestions? (This is 8.0.5 on ...yuk... NT). Thanks,
Steve
--
Please remove nospam from my address to Reply. Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 19:00:03 CDT