Re: HELP: RAID-5 Killing Performance

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:13:30 -0400

Hi:

Without numbers to support this, it's really hard to say. If the CPU utilization looks OK, the memory paging looks OK, and the SGA looks OK, then the problem has to be disk-related. Since the first three are easiest to eliminate, I'd check there first. Look at the V$FILESTAT and at the O/S level for disk statistics. Specifically, look at the I/O requests per second.

On the disk setup, I'd suggest determining if the following would be beneficial: Split disk3 into two seperate disks, and put one set of redo log members on one disk, the Oracle mirrored members on the other. It's very important to mirror the redo logs at the Oracle level rather than the software or hardware level. Only Oracle-level mirroring handles all possible faults, including "stale" redo logs. Move the archive logs to one of the other existing RAID5 arrays. See my site below for RAID info. It's "specific" to NT, but the same rules apply for Solaris. Everything except redo logs are written to in a block-oriented manner, so if you have enough disks in the RAID5 arrays, you can do OK. Again, first determine if disk I/O is actually the problem.

Good luck,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original modern rock? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult

<937333485.18113.0.pink.d4e11496_at_news.in2home.co.uk>...