PROBLEM SOLVED (was: Oracle 8.1.5i on Linux - can't create a database!)

From: Robert Claeson <robert.claeson_at_nospamskiii.brigtid.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:19:42 +0200

I wrote:

> I'm installing 8.1.5i on Red Hat Linux 6.0 and am having problems creating
> databases with it. I've made sure that all the prerequisites are ok
(kernel
> params, compatibility rpm's etc). Db Assistant generates errors. A closer
> inspection shows that the errors comes from the scripts it generates,
> although there's really nothing wrong with them.
>
> After svrmgrl is started, the script connects with "connect internal".
That
> works ok. Then it performs:
>
> startup nomount pfile = /u01/oradata/admin/ORCL/pfile/initORCL.ora
>
> Now, svrmgrl responds with TWO messages:
> ORACLE instance started.
> ORA-01012: not logged on
>
> Then the script tries to create a database with "create database yadda
> yadda..." but it fails since the connection to the database is lost.
Anybody
> has a clue about what's going on here!?

The database will be used by non-English speaking people, so we set the NLS_LANG environment variable to a sensible value according to the documentation. svrmgrl and friends apparently doesn't like this variable to be set. I just tried to unset it and lo and behold - svrmgrl behaved and functioned just as it does on any platform (although I *can* use the NLS_LANG variable on them). Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 17:19:42 CDT