Re: How to rename a column name?

From: <sudhakar_mph_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:37:01 GMT

Hi,
I know one way, This might solve ur problem like
suppose u have table 'x' in which u want to rename a column
first u create 'y' with same structure as above but with the column renamed as u want.

INSERT INTO Y(col1,col2,renamedcol) SELECT (col1 col2,col3) FROM x;
use this to transfer the data from table x to table y (Assuming u haved renamed col3 to renamecol)

now rename table x to tabled z
and then rename table y to table x
using command
Rename oldtablename TO newtablename;

Now at this stage u might have achieved what u want. After that u can disable the constraints from table x using command
alter table disable constraints CONSTRAINT_NAME; OR drop the constraint using command
alter table drop constraints CONSTRAINT_NAME;

Finally drop the table X.
I think this will solve ur query.

Thanks,
sudhakar

 In article <7rimke$e4a$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   wy3141_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I want to change the column name,and I don't want to drop it and
> recreate it. Because it has some dependencies(role right,constraints)
> on it.
> Can Oracle support change the column name directly?
> Any suggestion are helpful.
> Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 09:37:01 CDT