Re: Data Warehouse - Upload Time

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:33:06 +0100

If 5,000 rows take 15 minutes than 2,000,000 rows would appear to need about 4 days, not 2 hours.

It sounds from your notes that each of the 5,000 rows is handled separately, and a user-defined function is called for each row. This is probably where most of your time goes.

Investigate ways to avoid using a user-defined function at this point Check that the function is working very efficiently if you have to have it

There is no correct answer to 'is 2 hours normal for 1M rows'. Depending on the hardware and complexity of processing the rate is anywhere between pathetic and miraculous. (My best to date has been 40M rows per hour maintaining indexes on the fly but that was a cunning design and a VERY aggressive bit of kit).

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk