reduce block size?

From: David Spaisman <davedba_at_intercall.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 21:50:44 -0700

Hello:

I ma working with an Oracle 8.0.4 application on NT 4 sp4. There are about 125 users and the applicaton is definitely transaction-based wit about 125 tables. This application serves users in the U.S. We have a similar IT group in Europe and the same application there. They currently have less users buit the application is expected to grow(I don't know at what rate)..

My DBA associate in Europe had a consultant(I believe from Oracle) review the application and made three recomendations ;1) Take care of some fragmented tables 2) decrease the shared pool as it was causing memory swapping and 3) reduce the block size from 8k to 2k because of the transactional nature of the application.

I agree with the first two recommendations but I am quite surprised about the third: reducing the block size.

Has any one ever seen this type of recommendation ? Is it correct or not? Has any one ever done this?

If you need any additional information, please let me know. Thanks.

David Spaisman Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 23:50:44 CDT