Re: reduce block size?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:30:47 +0100

There's always room for a lot of argument about block sizes. However there is no absolute answer, and the potential benefit is machine and application dependent.
I once specified a 2K block size on a 4TB database because that happened to be
optimal for the available resources and the application.

2K is, for the most part, considered an undesirable size of Oracle block these
days because of the potential for overheads from devices drivers and filesystems, so on a 'short review' I would not expect
someone to be able to state confidently that it was a good idea, and would certainly expect them to supply some decent maths to justify the point.

OTOH I would not be surprised by a 'low-key' suggestion that 4K might be better than 8K, and I would only expect a brief, relatively 'low-tech' note explaining the suggestion.

In either case, I would want to know that the performance benefit was going to be worth the effort of change - there are some things which just have to be left 'wrong' because the cost of making them 'right' isn't worth it.

In this case I would probably want to see LOTs of Buffer Busy Waits and Write Complete Waits, and have it proved that they were not due to some other issue.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk