Re: Stopping an PL/SQL procedure

From: Ben Ryan <benryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:00:56 GMT

In article <iTRB3.1362$cPf.182070272_at_news.telia.no>,   "Pål Jakobsen" <paal.jak_at_nl.telia.no> wrote:
> Thank you for answering - I am sorry I forgot to tell. The PL/SQL
procedure
> is named "termin" and exists in a package "terminprocedure".
>
> I execute it from the prompt in sqlplus with the command execute
> terminprocedure.termin; - then it seems to go into an endless loop
> somewhere. I need to force it to stop without shutting the database
down.

An O/S independent way is ......

ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'x, y';

where x and y come from

SELECT sid,serial# from v$session;

This method would also seem preferable to a UNIX kill of the Oracle server process. (Although I have never personally had any problems with a Unix kill of an Oracle server process on 7.3 and above.)

> Thank you.
>
> Kenneth C Stahl wrote in message

<37D7A1B0.F5A04139_at_Unforgettable.com>...
> >"Pål Jakobsen" wrote:
> >
> >> I am debugging an PL/SQL procedure which sometimes goes wild. How
can I
> stop
> >> this. I have tried to stop the session in the instance manager but
this
> >> don´t help. Is there any command to use to stop the procedure from
> running
> >> immidiately.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> >You need to supply more information than this. I use pl/sql all the
time
> and I
> >can always stop it when needed, but then I'm working under a
specific set
> of
> >circumstances.
> >
> >What you have not told us is how you are running the pl/sql. Are you
> running it
> >as a script from within sqlplus? Are you executing a stored
procedure from
> >within sqlplus? Are you running a pl/sql block from a Pro-C program
running
> on
> >the host? Are you running a pl/sql block from a Pro-C program
running on a
> >client? Are you running a pl/sql block from an OCI program? Are you
> running a
> >pl/sql block from a client application such as Visual Basic or
Visual C++?
> This
> >type of information is absolutely required in order to identify what
> methods can
> >be used to stop the pl/sql from running once started.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 09 1999 - 18:00:56 CDT