Re: Help with Virgin RAID system

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:11:42 -0400

Hi Darren,

    Just make sure that you have a mirrored drive outside of the RAID 5 configuration for you redo logs. Space permitting you may also want to keep your archives on that drive. If you can't get a mirrored drive start complaining now and make sure that your management knows that you will be taking a substantial performance hit (I have attempted to remove this experience from my memory -- it was that bad. The conflicts were so severe that when we moved redo logs off of the RAID 5 our performance doubled! I have no idea if this was an extreme situation or normal for RAID 5 and I have no intention of trying to find out.)

    As far as the RAID array is concerned,I don't know about Sun's RAID 5, but the ones I have worked with don't give you access at the drive level. The entire RAID 5 is treated as a single volume.

Regards
Jerry Gitomer

Darren John Capper wrote in message
<37D37FA3.ACA7B5B9_at_preci-spark.co.uk>...
>Oracle Guru's,
>
>My company has just purchased a Sun Enterprise server along with
a RAID
>array (RAID 5 I think). It's going to be about two months
before I get
>my hands on it and I was wondering how RAID will affect my
Oracle