Re: limitation of CURSORs

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:05:10 -0400

A copy of this was sent to 12345tom_at_my-deja.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:15:04 GMT, you wrote:

>Wow that is a really good explanation - thanks. I tried and was able
>to submit a query via ADO "alter session set close_cached_open_cursors
>= true" in my application and it worked. But below it says that the
>behavior was changed in 8.1 so that my application will not work. Can

it'll work, it just won't have the same effect. for backwards compatibility:

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning and Java options
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production

tkyte_at_8i> alter session set close_cached_open_cursors = true;

Session altered.

the alter session works but doesn't have the same effect as they changed the cursor caching algorithm all together.

>I send the "Open_cursors" via a query from my application? I am

I don't know what the open_cursors query refers to..

>worried about how my application runs against either 8.0 or 8.1 with
>one code body. My application has to support either version.

you can safely send the alter session command to either release.

>Thanks so much.
>
>Tom

[snip]

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Sep 07 1999 - 08:05:10 CDT