Re: Cold back: net stop OracleServiceSID

From: Jason Kratz <JasonKratz_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:23:51 -0500

Peter Laursen < ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk> wrote in message news:01bef557$01fd4d10$2c289a0a_at_apollo...
> Hi!
>
> Im about to implement a nightly, cold backup on an Oracle 8.0.5 database,
> running on a NT server. Archive mode is off. The database is running
> unattended at a customer. I dont want the customer to have system,sys or
> internal passwords, nor be able to read them in scripts.
> I dont have much experience in backup/recovery of Oracle.
>
> My ideas are these:
>
> Use At cmd to run script:
> Stop database using net stop OracleServiceSID
> Copy datafiles, controlfiles, initsid and passwordfile. Should i get
> redologs too?
> Startup database using net start
> Later same night backup files to tape.

I'd say write a script that runs via server manager (svrmgr30.exe) and do a shutdown immediate instead. Basically what I do is run a script that shuts down the database with shutdown immediate, copy the files to the backup location, then startup the database with startup pfile=.....

> Questions:
> To do recovey I simple owerwrite datafiles and controlfiles (and redo's?)
> from last nights backup and start the database again?

When I've had a problem in the past I just shutdown and copy all the files from the backup location to the current location and all is well.

> Could I do a better scripts, ie shutting down more gracefully, without
> revealing passwords?

Thats the one thing about the way I'm doing it. The password is exposed but as I'm the only one who has access to the machine its a non-issue.

Jason Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 12:23:51 CDT