Help with Net8 problem

From: A.Cipullo <alain_cipullo_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:12:14 +0200

I'm having a problem configuring Net8.

I used "netasst" in the beginning however that crashes although I installed the oracle 8.1.5.0.1 patch. I'm trying therefore to configure everything by hand but I'm not finding the Oracle documentation all that good. There is plenty of it but it's confusing me.

I'm trying to simply get Net8 to run on the same server first to learn about using database links (e.g. sqlplus username/password_at_hq)

I've managed to get lsnsrctl to start a listener process, but when I test my link I receive the following error.

ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not gievn the SID in CONNECT_DATA

I've definitely gt a row where SID is defined in listener.ora, and I have the /etc/services file set-up as well as a tnsnames.ora file where service names are defined. Both .ora files are in my $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory.

I can't see where I've gone wrong. Any hints where to look for a simple step by step configuration guide?

Cheers,

Alain. Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 12:12:14 CDT