Re: Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

From: Andrew L. Garman <encephal_at_chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:44:44 -0500

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, NetComrade wrote:
> We are thinking to place one of our DB's on a Sun Storedge 5200 and
> Sun Enterprise 4500.
>
> Since we have a web-based OLTP environment, well, actually mixed,
> since we have major updates running at nights against most of the
> data, I thought that RAID-5 is not great, since during the day there
> are a lot of small reads/writes.
> I was thinking about 0+1 on datafiles with actualy data, but I am not
> sure whether I need to mirror the TEMP tablespace or whether I should
> place the REDO logs on the mirror.

If you can have a job abruptly stop when the disk TEMP tablespace is on, then you don't need to mirror it.

For the A5200, I'd recommend you buy two. And add a second I/O board to the E4500. Buy the four additional GBICs and mirror between the two arrays. Each array should have a connection from both I/O boards. This way you can lose any I/O component and still function! The performance is also phenomenal! Set the stripe width to 32 and away you go!!

Just my $.02,

Andrew Garman
Goliath Networks, inc. Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 10:44:44 CDT