TRUNCATE taking a long time

From: Steven Cardinal <scardinal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 02 Sep 1999 08:55:12 PDT

Just installed Oracle8 EE 8.0.4 on NT . We have a table with about 300,00 records which we truncate as part of our process. Since we are just evaluating it, we don't have access to Oracle patches (I guess they don't make them publicly available?). Anyway, the truncate (or a drop table) is taking about an hour!! The server has 1.2 Gb RAM (600 Mb SGA), the DATA01 tablespace in made up of 6 1Gb datafiles (wasn't aware of the 4Gb datafile bug until last week - what a drag) on a RAID5 array.  Since TRUNCATE is not logged - why is it taking so long? I'm new to Oracle, so I don't even know where to begin to look. SQLLDR seems to load the data in a good amount of time.

Thanks
Steve Received on Thu Sep 02 1999 - 10:55:12 CDT