Re: Oracle 7.3.4 NT4: OraTNSListener won't start.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:42:21 +0200

There are multiple reasons to do this:
- Usually you want to be sure the server is available by means of DNS instead of hardcoded IP. I'm specifically referring to a WAN, with multiple databases, with bad communication between administrators, and a good chance just 'someone' moved the server to a different system. DNS precludes the use of DHCP.
- Depending on DHCP configuration, the leased IP will be returned to the DHCP server when not used for some time. Usually there is not much server-initiated communication from the server to the clients. Imagine the IP expires outside office hours.
Or, the server needs to be rebooted (with NT that can happen quite easily). Do I have any guarantee the system will end-up with the same IP? OK, I can reserve IP addresses, but then I would just better give it a fixed IP. You'll end-up with mismatches between listener.ora, tnsnames.ora and the system. The listener probably doesn't start. Of course,
If you don't use TCP/IP for Oracle connections, it is a different story. The only other option you have is named pipes, and I read a web page on the Oracle support site once (don't remember the URL), that Oracle tests have shown named pipes is slower than TCP/IP.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Austin Durbin <adurbin_at_nshome.com> wrote in message news:ytoz3.18323$Rn.10964_at_news.rdc2.occa.home.com...
> I can't disagree with your comment re needing a fixed IP since all of my
> servers have a fixed IP number assigned. However, could you perhaps
explain
> why this would be needed. I frankly don't see how Oracle would even know
> how the server obtained it's IP number and am curious.
>

> Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > Hmmm... Overlooked that, sorry
> > Indeed any Oracle Server when using the TCP/IP protocol, needs a fixed
IP.