Re: Middleware --- polling or triggering

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:52:33 -0700

Ken
\
Not too sure how you're going to get the trigger approach to work without a DB link.

Otherwise, there are a number of approaches that can be taken. A lot of companies are now starting to concentrate on this area, including Oracle. As a matter of fact, the group I work with in Oracle Consulting specializes in just this area. Some places to look:

  1. Check out the Enterprise Application Integration space. For example, look at http://www.messageq.com. Mostly, this stuff is looking at disparate systems (DB2 to Oracle, for example) using message brokers and the like.
  2. Alternatively, it sounds like you're looking at an Oracle to Oracle connection. If that's so, you can use things like
    1. automated batch transfers using export/ftp/import
    2. Advanced QUeuing in Oracle8, using triggers to queue messages from one database to another either via a db link or via flat files
    3. look at Mercator or STC's Datagate product for transformation engines

etc. etc.

Let me know if you need more details.

Pete