Why does Oracle need this Index ?

From: Roger <NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:25:09 +0200

I have the following query:

select sum(vkpreise.preis) as s, count(*) as c from vkprlist, artikel, vkpreise where vkprlist.vkplname like 'B%' and vkprlist.vkplid = vkpreise.vkplid
 and vkpreise.produktnr = artikel.produktnr group by artikel.produktnr

What I don't understand is, why Oracle needs an index on vkplname. If vkplname isn't indexed Oracle performs a full table scan on vkpreise ? Why ? I tested this query with two other database server and both don't need this index.

Regards

   Roger Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 10:25:09 CDT