Updates, Inserts to Oracle kinda slow in a grid.

From: <tjmxyz_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 06:51:34 GMT

Hi!
 This is a general question but...
 I have a general speed problem in the application I ported to Oracle.  In general a save takes 1 second.
(This includes 1. An entry in a log table, 2. The actual save. 3.
Locking and
 unlocking of the record , 4. Update of change date and time and number of
 changes)

 I have reduced the speed a bit by using stored procedures.  The application uses ODBC Microsoft's ODBC driver for Oracle.  And SQLEXEC() I generate an update statement such as:  "update test set col1=?val1,col2=val2"

 So it uses bind variables.

 I know much about Oracle but not too much about foxpro.
(Of course enough to get the initial conversion done.)

 The problem that remains is when I have a form with a gird the users can change
 ten-20 records...

When they then save it takes 10-20 seconds.... Which is too long....

I was wondering what kind of approach others may have taken with saving grids to oracle fast via...

What is a realistic time for a finely tuned server and application..?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 27 1999 - 01:51:34 CDT