Re: Disk crashed

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:06:18 -0700

Jerry

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with a couple of points you made here.

Firstly, if the database was shutdown abort as opposed to cleanly, then the recovery approach needed is completely different. This is one that as a newcomer to the DBA world, the original poster really should contact Support to make sure they end up with a non-corrupted database.

Secondly, while seasoned DBA's sometimes take the approach of not backing up the rollback segment tablespace, I've generally found this to cause more problems than it's worth. All you're saving is a bit of time and disk space. Again, as a newcomer to the DBA world, it would be a lot easier for the original poster to back upi everything, and then restore it all if needed.

Other viewpoints as always welcome!

Pete