FOREIGN KEY

From: francesco <fzavat_at_eco.unipv.it>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:08:23 +0200

I am setting a database under Oracle 8. I need to link two tables (father and child) with a FOREIGN KEY

So far I have done:
child table
CREATE TABLE PROG
(ID_PROG VARCHAR2(5), ……….ID_BEN VARCHAR2(50));
father table
CREATE TABLE BEN(ID_B VARCHAR2(5), ...); foreign key
ALTER TABLE PROG ADD CONSTRAINT FK_IDBEN_PROG FOREIGN KEY (ID_BEN) REFERENCES BEN (ID_B) ON DELETE CASCADE; The question is: is it available the SQL keyword ON UPDATE CASCATE
(instead of ON DELETE CADSCADE) in the CONSTRAINT statement? Standard
SQL books say it’s a possible option, but I have found nothing in Oracle documentation and SQL*Plus does not accept it.

If it is not possible, which is the best way to change ID_B in BEN table and consequently ID_BEN in PROG table? Just by code, inserting new record in father table (the same field values except ID_B), change related records in child table, delete old record in father table? PS: I use Delphi 3 as client application environment.

Thanks in advance Received on Wed Aug 25 1999 - 05:08:23 CDT