Re: What Server to take?

From: Luis Campos <lcampos_at_cpcis.pt>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:25:34 +0100

Oracle DataServer is Oracle's main product. When you see some reference to Oracle7 or Oracle8 its to this product that they meant to refer. Each major release has other numbers which identify subreleases. In Oracle7 you had 4major subreleases:
Oracle7.0, Oracle7.1, Oracle7.2 and Oracle7.3. The third number its also important, and so this lead us to the last Oracle7 release which was 7.3.4. In Oracle8 the major releases are: 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5 and 8.1.5. This last one is also called Oracle8i, because the second digit change was a major one, and so they decided to add an 'i' to the Oracle8 for two reasons: first it means INTERNET and second to distinguish it from the Oracle8 which was a reference for 8.0.x releases.

NOW FOR SECOND PART OF THE ENLIGHTMENT: OracleDataServer comes in 4 different sizes: Lite, Personal Edition, Workgroup Edition and Enterprise Edition. Lite is the OracleServer for PDAs, Personal is for client OS (W95/98/Mac), Workgroup is for medium sized servers and it doesn't come with the possibilty of adding cartridges, and finally Enterprise Edition is the ferrari of the Editions, for medium to large or very large systems. They differ in price too!

Hope it helped.

Luis Campos.