Re: How to change SID?

From: Michel Cadot <micadot_at_netcourrier.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:07:12 +0200

Here's a previous answer from Erwin Dondorp to same question:

Hi,

Please take care that the database sid and the database name are 2 different things!
The database name is the name that belongs to the data (that is stored in your database files)
The database sid is the name of the running processes that make the database work.
Most of the time these are the same.

[Assuming you have Oracle on UNIX]
If you only want to change the SID:

- shutdown
- rename the sid in the file /etc/oratab
- rename the file $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora to the new SID
- startup
- ready (don't forget to tell all clients that the SID changed: change their
environment variable ORACLE_SID or their TNS names definition to reflect the new SID)

If you want to change the database name: - Use the procedure below (in the original reply)

    Erwin

--
Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.wxs.nl/~erwindon>