Re: Problem with Linux and Oracle 8.0.5 and listener

From: Gene Homan <homang_at_pcisys.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:21:20 -0600

Hello Ferran,

I think you mean ORA-12500. If so, the error means that there is either an account or system level resource restriction that is preventing a shadow process (dedicated server) from starting. These things can be damn hard to trace. It could be simply the maximum processes allowed per user, etc.

You might try running a sqlnet loopback on the linux server (ie, make sure the tnsnames.ora alias for the database is defined correctly and doing a "sqlplus <username>/<password>@tnsnamesalias") and run a strace against it. For example:

# strace -aef -o /tmp/trace.txt sqlplus system/manager_at_dev4

You might get lucky and see the failed resource allocation in the trace output.

If not, call Oracle support and let them have a wack at it.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Gene