CREATE Index problem on a large table (getting progress report?)

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNOSPAM_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:56:32 GMT

Hi folks,

I am trying to create an index on a fairly large table (2Gig), the create statement (with nologging) has been running for over 5 hours, and I am starting to suspect that something is wrong. Especially when I get messages like:
[MEL2_at_melbourne2 oracle]$ top
bash: fork: Not enough space
or
CREATE INDEX base_free.xaction_user_id ON base_free.xaction (user_id)

                                                    *
ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 4112 bytes (callheap,sort area)

when I try to run something else in parallel. My SGA is <500Megs, and the system has a Gig. My temp space is around 500 Meg (for Oracle) but it doesn't seems to be using it for sorts. Is there are any way I can see how my Index creation is doing? Or should I just reboot the machine?

Thanx Received on Wed Aug 18 1999 - 07:56:32 CDT