Re: Upgrade to Oracle8

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:48:40 GMT

In article <7p9u62$1hv$1_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,   "Frank Siegel" <NorthernSnow_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I am planning an Oracle8.0.5 upgrade from 7.3.4.
> I've been told that if you make a mistake using the upgrade utility
> you must restore from backup. For this reason I'm thinking of just
> building the instance and dB from scripts. I do not need any data
> for the upgrade!
> I can rerun the data warehouse dB loads. Should I just use the
> CREATE database command with Oracle8 setting the redo
> and rollback, TEMP etc.? I can recreate all the tablsepaces
> with DDL and I can export all the schemas without the data (from the
old)
> and then import (into the new).
>
> Any advice on the Oracle8 upgrade? Any advice on Oracle 8 networking
> or environment varbiales to look out for?
>
> Thank You!
> Frank

Check the upgrade in place chapter of the installation manual. My partner upgraded several instances in place without a problem. Rebuilding is a valid alternate if you want to change the Oracle block size, rearrange the tablespace structure or locations, or have other special reasons to start from scratch, but fear of making a mistake is not a reason to use the rebuild method.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 17 1999 - 08:48:40 CDT