Physically sort a table?

From: Adrian Harrison <adrianh_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:02:18 GMT

Using Oracle 7.3.4

I have an very unusual problem thats a bit difficult to explain. Basically what I need to do is order a table of records using 3 columns without using an index!

I can't use an index because the report writer won't use it! - not only that but the users want the ability to restart a print run anywhere in the table based on the value of the 3rd column. As Higher & lower 3rd column values appear further on down in the report I can't just use ">= Col1 AND >= col2 AND >= col3" as a starting point

Example :-

Col1 Col2 Col3

				1
				3
				2
				4
				6

The user may want to start from 3 in Col3

Is it possible to sort a table in to the order I want them to come out on a report - similar to dBase's (God I must be getting old), Index & Sort facilities?

I tried doing an Insert Into with a Select From statement but it doesn't appear to like the ORDER BY clause!

I did say it's a bit difficult to explain!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adrian Harrison Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 12:02:18 CDT