Re: Is is possible to do this in Oracle?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:12:24 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:30:05 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
> I wonder whether the below requirements can be implemented in Oracle
>7.3.3. (or higher)
>
>1) Is it possible to specify the data type (and width) of the column in
>a view? I try "create view aaa (aaa number(22,6)) as select bbb from
>bbb" but failed.

numbers - no not really.

strings -- yes in a fashion.

create view aaa as select SUBSTR( bbb, 1, 20 ) from bbb

will constraint bbb to be varchar2(20)

>2) I developed triggers and PL/SQL procedures and functions in Oracle
>7.3.3. I don't want to let other developers to read the PL/SQL coding
>(triggers, procedures and functions). Is it possible to "hide" this
>coding even the developers have privileges to query the dba_source view?
>(for example, is it possible to set up the password?)

look up "wrap" in the plsql guide. it does this.

>Thanks,
>Jimmy

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Aug 12 1999 - 12:12:24 CDT