Oracle 8.0.5 on 450 Enterprise and Solaris 2.6

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:43:15 GMT

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can see some kind of Benchmarking on 450 Enterprise and Solaris 2.6?

I have looked at their tpm-C benchmark on http://wwwwseast.usec.sun.com/servers/white-papers/450performance.html but it's on Sybase and it gives something like 190 transactions per second.

Right now we have Oracle 7.3.4 running on the same machine with 1/4 of the memory they have used and it's doing around 170 SQL statements per second (The way I calculated it is by diving select sum(executions)

            from v$sqlarea;

by the number of days the DB was up. Anyway, that server is not even properly configured (the db is running off 2 disks) and there are 330K with about 50k or so logging in almost every day (thru a web server) there is about 10% Idle time during the day, but I/O wait is really bad (during heavy usage goes beyond 80%)

If I distribute I/O properly, we are planning ot have a DB with over a 1000K users 4G Ram, etc. Even though Oracle recommends 1/3 of memory to be used by the system, I think if I set SGA to 3-3.5G it should be doing fine. The DB should not grow beyond 15Gig or so, so do you think we can handle around 1000k SQL's per second? (mostly non-full table scans queries)

I believe somebody mentioned something like 5000k SQL per second and said that it's not a lot, so I was wondering what's tmp-C is all about. And how would I relate it to my problems.

Thanx

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email