Re: Oracle 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 upgrade

From: <tobyed2_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:42:31 GMT

In article <7osb0p$gvr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sunk_at_focushope.edu wrote:
> In article <7orocn$2oi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> tobyed2_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Im having a problem upgrading from 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 (yes, I know
> > political reasons for a client) on Sun Solaris (probably
irrelevant).
> > Basically the upgrade has gone through and Ive "Upgraded Database
> > Objects" also I havent installed any new products, I chose to keep
the
> > old ORACLE_HOME.
> >
> > When I try shutting down the database it reports ORA-00201 control
> > file version incompatible with ORACLE version. The error message in
> the
> > manual indicates "nums" in the error message but I get none. Before
> > upgrading database objects I moved the old control files to the new
> > ORACLE_HOME and modified parameter files etc, started the database.
> >
> > Also as far as I understand all control files should be the same
> size
> > ? I have 3 all varying in size.
> >
> > I know theres something Im missing ?!?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Toby

> Toby,
>
> FYI,
>
> I was playing with my test db(7.3.4.0.1), and I got ORA-00201. Because
> comment out the compatible=7.3.3 in my initsid.ora after I put it
back,
> it worked again.
>
> Hope this will help.
>
> Thanks, Kurt.

Yes, I noticed that ...
Well it was drastic, Ive curred the problem by CREATE CONTROLFILE ... I now have my doubts about some files on the system, it struck me as odd that the control files were all different sizes. Upon creating the new controlfile (which is now 93k instead of 700Mb !), they are now all the same size <phew>, but ...

I now have a datafile which reports "invalid header block", hmm, to quote Star Trek "Its dead Jim".

Fortunately the data in the tablespace is "expendable" ... Out of curiosity, anyone know how to recover from this, and before your ask, what backup strategy.

Thank you for the help

Toby

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 12 1999 - 02:42:31 CDT