Re: Oracle for Solaris 2.7

From: J Costello <costello_at_user2.teleport.com>
Date: 10 Aug 1999 19:34:22 -0700

In article <bBrl3.772$X_6.204305_at_news1.rdc1.on.wave.home.com>, Yousuf Khan <ykhan_at_spam.home.com.spam> wrote:
>James Collings <james_at_futuress.globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Does anybody know where I can source Oracle for Solaris 2.7, in the same
>> style as the Educational "cheapware" Solaris x86 from Sun.
>>
>> Obviously I can spend the $x,xxx for the full release, however, the
>schools
>> budget won't stretch that far. Anything up to the $100 mark would be
>cool.
>> I have seen that Oracle do 30 day evaluation licenses, anybody got
>> experience of this here in the UK? Or better still, anybody know if the
>> license can be "waived" for Education reasons.
>
>Have you looked into MySQL? Not Oracle, but SQL nonetheless and the price is
>right (free).
>
> Yousuf Khan

Last time I checked Oracle's Technet, Oracle had not released the software for Solaris on x86. Solaris on Sparc is available (my webmaster got a copy from Oracle's Internet conference), but was quite difficult to install. Since we didn't want to pay the licensing fees (this was at an educational institution), we went with mySQL.

Cos
costello_at_teleport.com Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 21:34:22 CDT