Re: Ora on SCO Unix is crap?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 07:59:03 -0400

If your concept of SCO includes Unixware then I've had quite a bit of success with Oracle on Unixware. Some 7.3.2, one 7.3.3 and several 7.3.4.

Are you using MTS? If not, then you need to.

Do you have enough memory available to Unix? If not, change the shared memory value and rebuild your kernal.

Is your shared pool size big enough? If you only have the LARGE size that appears in initxxx.ora then you may need to increase it past that point.

What type of processing do you typically do? On-line clients? Batch? Both have different needs - especially for rollback segments.

You might also want to consider upgrading to at least 7.3.4.

By the way - the RDBMS won't even notice 5000 transactions per day. That is extremely light usage in comparison to many databases. One of the production systems I work with does over 12,000 transactions an hour and I still consider that to be fairly light activity.

Ken